Sunday, December 11, 2011

Only now does it occur to me... LABYRINTH!

So, I've been pretty bad lately in terms of writing reviews– and while many more reviews and the Top 100 countdown shall certainly continue at their own pace, I thought I'd introduce a new feature that allows me to post without eating up a great deal of time. These will be quick, one-off, filmic observations: think of it more as a screening log. Anyway, I was watching LABYRINTH on the big screen the other weekend at the Museum of the Moving Image in Queens, and I was incredibly lucky to see it with Brian Henson and designer Brian Froud, his wife Wendy, and their son Toby (who played the baby Toby in LABYRINTH) in attendance; and their talkback was truly inspiring for somebody like me, who is obsessed with practical effects, and is entirely enamored of the practical world that Henson, Froud, and so many others built with THE DARK CRYSTAL and LABYRINTH.

Anyway, only now does it occur to me... that 'Hoggle' is basically Charles Bukowski.

1 comment:

Maurice Mitchell said...

Hoggle was great. I'd almost forgotten about him.